Saturday, August 3, 2013

Katahdin Hike



So, there was a hike up Katahdin but it wasn't the family hike/camping trip we had planned.  Due to poor weather conditions the trip had to be cancelled and my girlfriend Julie and I had to make a day trip.  While I was disappointed that we didn't get to climb the highest point in Maine together as a family, I loved the opportunity to spend time with one of the people I hold most dear.  We had perfect weather and made incredible time up and down the mountain!  

On a side note:  Last year when I climbed Katahdin I was in MUCH different shape.  I was a bit heavier and much less active.  In January, I was dangerously close to being diagnosed with type two diabetes and have had to make diet and exercise changes as a result.  I am now more fit than I ever have been and am amazed everyday at how my body has responded to this positive attention in the form of food and sweat!  

Since this is a blog for my daughter and I to connect and share our connection I think it is important to share how much getting fit means to our relationship.  I am so glad she will grow up with an active mom and one who values health!  I hope she takes care of her body always and respects it by working it hard and fueling it well!  

3 comments:

  1. I admire your change in health and activity! I'm still working on it... I was diagnosed a few years ago with ankylosing spondylitis (a type of arthritis) and have a hard time motivating myself to get off my lazy butt. My hubby and I were trying to create a game plan for exercising just this morning. Any tips to get me motivated?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becca, believe me, I was where you are! As for motivation, it has to come from some deep place within. I still have no idea where that place is but it is ugly and mean and I swear at it most days. I have had to change so much about my life and have devoted tons of my family's time and resources to changing my health. My family has been extremely supportive and know that my good health will only mean good things for us as a unit. Our grocery bills have doubled as I eat mostly organic food and NO, I repeat NO grain products! I have a personal trainer and spend one to two hours a day on my fitness. We call it front loading and know that if we pay now, we wont have to later in the form of medical bills and a sedentary lifestyle. While it may seem like too much money and time away from my family, it has in fact had such positive results on both accounts that nobody, especially my family is complaining. You know the saying "when mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy"? Well this mama is very happy, proud and strong and when mama is all those things, more money gets made and fun times are had! You can do it! It won't be pretty or fun or easy but oh so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had a baby four months ago now and I can't stand my body. I have never had weight issues or a belly until now and it is so hard to actually work to be healthy looking when I never had to before. I want to be a healthy mommy too!

    ReplyDelete